> baGuio : baLconaJe

Author: aLmich

A long lost, long time “friend” just buzzed me earlier. I saw your Baguio pics, ang gaganda! Punta ulit tayo pag balik ko diyan Pinas ha. Miss you!

Scouting out good restaurants in advance is always a smart bet when you’re visiting other cities, even when it’s close to home. And it can be especially tough to ferret out good recommendations for midsize cities, as so much of the food-finding energy is focused on bigger places. That said, I usually just scout around and ask the locals, taxi drivers mostly.

Experiencing Baguio will not be complete without their unique SM Baguio. Experiencing SM Baguio will not be complete without a taste of Balconaje Bistro Cafe. My first time there was with my then bf-Chris. He and I were going to have a late lunch after a tiring walk along Burnham. I wanted to go to a restaurant that is unique to Baguio City – a place I won’t find in Metro Manila. So, we came upon Balconaje and decided to dine there.

At first, I thought they served local dishes, because of the furnishings and decor that have Baguio City written all over it – the wooden chairs and tables, the bamboo adornments, etc. I was surprised that they offer international dishes, instead. Still, we went ahead and tried their “specialties”.

It has always been an exciting experience to dine out and ask for the place’s best sellers. I have always been tagged as makulit when it comes to asking such. I would usually get away by saying, I’m just trying to get my money’s worth.

Remembering Mami Chus Chicken Cordon Bleu, I decided to give it a try. Chicken Cordon Bleu - which is a big roll of breaded and fried chicken breast filled with ham and cheese and smothered with creamy sauce. Chris picked their Hunter’s Chicken, which is chicken breast with some kind of tomato sauce with mushrooms and onions.

After our orders were served, the sound of utensils touching our plates, glasses being filled with water were the ones left to my hearing. Both dishes were great! The Cordon Bleu, can feed two people. I love the breading that they used – perfectly fried, not burnt. The smooth cheese sauce had just the right amount of salt and the dried basil cut the creaminess of the sauce and gave the whole dish a good sprinkle of spice. The sauce of the Hunter’s Chicken did it for the dish. With that hint of red wine [if I’m not mistaken], the sweetness of the onion, and the big mushroom buttons, just the sauce itself and the rice can be a complete meal for me.

Pictures below show us with Carla [our Baguio based friend] and her friend chismissed as her partner [hahaha].

I would definitely recommend this for you and your family or friends. The food here is inexpensive and delicious. A really great discovery for me, my then-bf, and our tummies!

 

1 Response to “> baGuio : baLconaJe”

  1. Anonymous

    Hello, as you may already found I'm fresh here.
    I will be glad to get any assistance at the start.
    Thanks in advance and good luck! :)


Leave a Reply